Founded in 2004 by the twin sisters Karin Gurtner and Monika, and supported by their parents Marion and Kurt, art of motion has grown from a family business of 4 to an education institute with an extended, international family of 30+ and growing.
At the headquarter in Berne, Switzerland, art of motion offers two main curriculums: Contemporary Pilates as well as Slings Myofascial Training, whereof Anatomy Trains in Motion is the first module. Each curriculum comprises an interconnected series of self-contained courses.
Internationally art of motion offers Slings Myofascial Training courses in cooperation with partners and hosts. It is a great pleasure, both professionally and personally to work with people from different cultures and on different continents to ensure integral, body-minded movement education together.
Our mission is to deliver high quality contemporary movement education for exercise professionals, body workers as well as therapists.
Once Upon a Time in Australia
When it all started, Karin Gurtner and Muriel Morwitzer successfully led the art of motion training in movement branch in Australia parallel to the Swiss head office. First offering Contemporary Pilates and later Slings Myofascial Training.
2016 was the year the visionary women took change into their own hands and were eager to create something even better, more illuminating, inspirational and beneficial for others. In order to break new grounds ideas were pondered and resources were bundled with the team at Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand.
Sharing the same ethical business values and aiming to deliver the highest quality education, the two education academies decided to close the doors of the Australian art of motion branch. Ever since, the art of motion education courses down under are conducted under the reputable banner of Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand, a remarkable turning point in the art of motion history and the growth of our Slings Myofascial Training community. With the increased demand of the revolutionary Slings concept, art of motion was able to build an international team of dedicated educators inspiring thousands of movement enthusiasts and bodyworkers around the world to date.
Contemporary Pilates remains an integral part of art of motion Academy. art of motion Academy continuously offers a comprehensive matwork certification and a broad spectrum of continuous education courses in Switzerland. For the international art of motion community, the in-depth education manuals (last edited in 2010) with detailed photographic references for Contemporary Pilates courses are offered in an open source library at no cost.
True to our vision that knowledge should be shared generously we believe that movement professional and body workers alike will benefit from these course manuals on their journey of continuous education.
Facts & Figures
- 2020: Contribution to the 4th edition of Anatomy Trains, Chapter 10
- 2020: Publication of the Slings Essentials Manual + Video Library for Embodied Learning
- 2019: Publication of the Anatomy Trains in Motion Study Guide
- 2018: Production of the Slings Myofascial Training Tools in collaboration with Vistawell
- Since 2018: International workshops with Karin Gurtner and Thomas W. Myers.
- Since 2016: Collaboration with Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand and international hosts
- Since 2016: Collaboration with Anatomy Trains USA
- Since 2014: Anatomy Trains in Motion courses recognized by Tom Myers as part of the Slings Myofascial Training Curriculum
- Since 2008: Slings Myofascial Training teacher trainings
- Since 2004/2006: Contemporary Pilates teacher trainings
- 2006: Foundation of art of motion training in movement Australia by Karin Gurtner, led by Muriel Morwitzer.
- 2004: Foundation of art of motion training in movement gmbh Switzerland by Karin Gurtner (Educational Director), Monika Gurtner (Managing Director) and Marion Gurtner (all-rounder of the first order).