Founded in 2004 by twin sisters Karin Gurtner and Monika, with the support of their parents Marion and Kurt, art of motion has bloomed from a family business of four to an institute of education that today has an extended, international family of 30-plus and growing.
At headquarters in Berne, Switzerland, art of motion offers two primary curricula: Contemporary Pilates and Slings Myofascial Training, which features Anatomy Trains in Motion as the first module. Each of these comprehensive curricula comprises an interconnected series of self-contained courses.
Internationally, art of motion offers Slings Myofascial Training courses in cooperation with partners and hosts. As a team, we take great pleasure, both professionally and personally, working with people from different cultures and on different continents, providing this integral body-minded movement education.
Our mission is to deliver high-quality, contemporary movement education for exercise professionals, body workers, and therapists.
Once Upon a Time in Australia
At the beginning of it all, Karin Gurtner and Muriel Morwitzer successfully launched the art of motion training in an Australian movement branch parallel to the Swiss head office. Contemporary Pilates led the way, followed by the addition of Slings Myofascial Training.
2016 was the year the visionary women at art of motion took change into their own hands, eager to create something even better, more illuminating, inspirational, and beneficial for others. Groundbreaking ideas began to take shape, and a decision was made to bundle resources with the team at Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand.
Sharing the same ethical business values, while aiming to deliver the highest quality education, the two academies decided to close the doors of the Australian art of motion branch. As a result, the art of motion education courses down under are now conducted beneath the reputable banner of Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand. This was a remarkable turning point in the art of motion history, spurring on the growth of our Slings Myofascial Training community. With the increased demand for the revolutionary Slings concept, art of motion shifted their focus, building an international team of dedicated educators, inspiring thousands of movement enthusiasts and bodyworkers around the world—this effort continues today.
Contemporary Pilates is an integral part of art of motion Academy. In Switzerland, we offer foundation and advanced level certification courses in Pilates Matwork and Reformer, as well as a broad spectrum of continuous education courses for teachers and therapists.
For the international movement community, a Contemporary Pilates Open Source Library, containing nine in-depth manuals (English, edition 2010) with detailed photographic references, is available. Together with the art of motion team, Karin poured heart and soul and thought into these science-informed, experience-proven instruction manuals. We do hope that providing them at no cost will benefit many Pilates professionals around the world, and in turn, will benefit many of their clients, increasing social wellbeing at large.
Facts & Figures
- 2020: Contribution to the 4th edition of Anatomy Trains, Chapter 10
- 2020: Publication of the Slings Essentials Manual + Video Library for Embodied Learning
- 2019: Publication of the Anatomy Trains in Motion Study Guide
- 2018: Production of the Slings Myofascial Training Tools in collaboration with Vistawell
- Since 2018: International workshops with Karin Gurtner and Thomas W. Myers.
- Since 2016: Collaboration with Anatomy Trains Australia & New Zealand and international hosts
- Since 2016: Collaboration with Anatomy Trains USA
- Since 2014: Anatomy Trains in Motion courses recognized by Tom Myers as part of the Slings Myofascial Training Curriculum
- Since 2008: Slings Myofascial Training teacher trainings
- Since 2004/2006: Contemporary Pilates teacher trainings
- 2006: Foundation of art of motion training in movement Australia by Karin Gurtner, led by Muriel Morwitzer.
- 2004: Foundation of art of motion training in movement gmbh Switzerland by Karin Gurtner (Educational Director), Monika Gurtner (Managing Director) and Marion Gurtner (all-rounder of the first order).