Founder and educational director of art of motion Academy; developer of the Slings Myofascial Training concept, the Anatomy Trains in Motion education, and a Contemporary Pilates curriculum; creator of online learning courses and practice videos; author and international presenter
- Developer Contemporary Pilates method
- Developer Slings Myofascial Training®
- Developer Anatomy Trains in Motion®
- Certified Anatomy Trains® lecturer
- Certified Kinesis Myofascial Integration® Practitioner
- Member of the Fascia Research Society
- Author of teaching materials and accredited Pilates educations for movement professionals and therapists
- Developer of Certificate IV and Diploma in Contemporary Pilates (vocational training)
- International presenter Certifed Pilates teacher for matwork, reformer and studio Pilates
- PMA (Pilates Method Alliance) Certified Pilates teacher
- Qualification in Workplace Training and Assessment
- Certified Yoga teacher
- Certified Gyrokinesis teacher
- Various certificates in massage
- Various certificates in fitness, wellness and personal training
- Various anatomy and dissection courses with Thomas W. Myers, Andry Vleeming, Gil Hedley, Jaap van der Wal and others
- Pilates Method Alliance German
- Pilates Association IASI – International Association of Structural Integrators
- IICT – International Institute for Complementary Therapists
- Australian Fitness Network
A glimpse into the life of...
Karin believes that knowledge should be shared generously to foster independent thinking – and that complex information needs to be delivered within a clearly defined and practical context to be embodied and ‘embrained’ alike. This is a shared vision at art of motion, where Karin is supported by co-founder and twin sister Monika, the dedicated people at the art of motion head office in Switzerland, and a skilled team of international educators.
Since the academy’s establishment in 2004, Karin has written more than twenty comprehensive course books. Additionally, she has published the Anatomy Trains in Motion study guide, co-authored by Tom Myers. Her most recent endeavour, and what she considers her most courageous writing accomplishment yet, is the publication of the Slings Essentials manual for embodied learning. The production of a series of Slings online learning courses and an extensive collection of DVDs and practice videos add to the richness of the resources she and her team at art of motion have created and made available worldwide.
Taking a peek at Karin’s history, in her mid-twenties, she started with the development of a Contemporary Pilates curriculum that values modern movement science and recognises the body’s changing needs - throughout life and society. After reading Tom Myers’ Anatomy Trains book in early 2000, she began working on what has become Slings Myofascial Training, an advanced education concept for resource-oriented, integrative movement. Karin met Tom during her Anatomy Trains Structural Integration (formerly Kinesis Myofascial Integration) training. Ever since, they have collaborated, cultivating a deep and abiding friendship. Anatomy Trains in Motion is her interpretation and practical application of Tom’s work in the realms of body-minded, fascia-focussed movement.
It has taken Karin a good decade to extract meaning and integrate seemingly indescribable experiences, real-life observations, and research findings from various fields into the integrated whole that Slings Myofascial Training is today. The experience-based and science-informed concept encourages curiosity and ignorance-consciousness, which keeps it alive and (re)developing.
Professionally, she sees herself as a resource-oriented movement activist, personally, as an ambassador for creative living. Bringing movement intelligence and her love for functional anatomy to the table, Karin inspires people around the globe with her work and inclusive approach to education.